How does the NDIS work?
by Kat Rowe | November 12, 2020
How does the NDIS work?
If you are one of the 4.3 million Australians with a disability, you never need to feel like you are going through your journey alone. There is a whole host of support and services out there to help you really get the most out of life – including the NDIS.
Stride specialises in supporting those with severe and persistent mental health needs, including NDIS support services. You may already have heard about the NDIS, but you want to know a little more about how it applies to you and your situation.
Let’s take a look at the scheme in a bit more detail and find out more about Stride’s NDIS services. Remember – our team are in your corner.
What is the NDIS and what does it cover?
The NDIS, or National Disability Insurance Scheme, is the first national scheme designed to support Australians living with a disability. With the NDIS, those who are eligible will receive a plan that gives them choice and control of what services they can access, as well as funding to support this.
This is great news for individuals with a wide range of disabilities. The NDIS has an open definition of “disability” – this means anyone whose life is significantly affected by a physical or psychosocial condition may be eligible for funding.
NDIS funding is intended to provide coverage for a number of different expenses related – either directly or indirectly – to life with a disability. This could include daily living expenses and the costs of specific treatments or forms of rehabilitation. Each case is unique and treated at an individual level, and applicants will work with a representative of the National Disability Insurance Agency, or NDIA, to outline their own tailored NDIS plan.
The NDIS plan: What individualised support is available?
So, what exactly is an NDIS plan, and what does it look like? The plan is basically a program that those with disabilities, that are eligible, can use to pursue their life goals in the long or short term. Applicants work with the NDIS team to outline these goals and agree upon the support required to hit such goals
As each plan is tailored specifically to the needs of the individual, it is difficult to say what support will be offered on any particular plan. However, some of the most common support offered are the following:
- Support while finding, keeping or changing employers or employment roles
- Support in securing accommodation and moving in
- Support while carrying out home modifications or improvements
- Support in finding and purchasing assistive technologies
- Support in finding and following courses of treatment, rehabilitation and other forms of medical assistance
- Support in accessing assistance with daily personal activities and tasks, as well as social and community activities
When individuals connect with the NDIS and begin drafting their plan, they can learn more about the coverage available.
How can Stride’s services support you and your NDIS plan?
Here at Stride, we work alongside the NDIS to get Australians the support they need for a wide variety of mental health concerns.
We build upon the services offered by the NDIS, providing the coordination and implementation required to put the plan into action and to make sure that each individual gets the very best from their plan.
The services we offer include:
- Therapeutic Support, offering therapy programs in individual or group settings
- Support Coordination – someone to help each participant to make sure they get the most out of their plan
- Residential Services to help achieve independent living for eligible participants with a psychosocial disability.
- We also offer a handy NDIS Price Guide.